[coreboot] write/verify bug

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 22:04:14 CEST 2009

Boy, this discussion is getting really complicated. That's a sign that
it is time to STOP! and think it all over :-)

We're going to guess the order of operations based on arguments,
except when we ignore the argument order of operations, because we
think we're smarter than the user? And then we're going to reread the
file and ....

I'm an old unix buzzard. Our philosophy was, processes are cheap.
That's why things like ls | grep are deemed acceptable.

Tools do one thing (or one thing at a time) and do it well. flashrom
is getting radically over-engineered.

Please rethink this.

flashrom -e -- erase
flashrom -r -- read
flashrom -w -- write
flashrom -v -- verify

flashrom -any combination -- mistake

Otherwise, no matter how you set this up, you're going to violate
somebody's principle of least surprise. This thread already shows how.

If you want more than one thing done, that's what scripts are for :-)

thanks

ron