[coreboot] Open source project, braindead "leaders"

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 00:23:18 CEST 2009

here is the sum total of the messages I have from ionnas (none from
his brother).
===============

Ioannis Barkas
 to me

show details 12/19/07

        Follow up message
Hello I would like to add some controllers without USB
debug port at:
http://www.linuxbios.org/EHCI_Debug_Port
, so I will need an account!

Imagine a world without AMI and Phoenix BIOSes...
=================================
and I said:
ron minnich
 to Ioannis

show details 12/20/07

        Follow up message
can you tell me a bit more?

Thanks

ron

=================================
and he said:

Ioannis Barkas
 to me

show details 12/21/07

        Follow up message
Hello, thanks for your reply.

I want to add a NEC PCI card and a chipset without
debug port...
And I said:

show details 12/25/07

        Follow up message
On Dec 21, 2007 3:35 AM, Ioannis Barkas <risc4all at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello, thanks for your reply.
>
> I want to add a NEC PCI card and a chipset without
> debug port...

So what do you need again?

thanks

ron

And they said nothing more until june 12, 1.5 years later.

Note that there is nothing of any specificity in his note, no
indication that he has a clue as to what is on the web page or even
what chipset he is talking about. NEC PCI card? eh? What kind of card?
Chipset? Eh? what chipset? Why is he not more informative?

Sorry, but we can't just let anyone just come in and get a wiki
account. And, more to the point, they don't need it to add a NEC PCI
card. Still worse, they don't seem to understand that adding a new
chipset to the source code repo doesn't require a wiki account --
despite this very nice top level link written some years ago:
http://www.coreboot.org/Development_Guidelines

Now, finally, 1.5 years later we get a patch, which is fine, but it
comes with lots of whining and lots of unsubstantiated claims. 30
mainboards? These guys have more than I ever had, and I worked at a
money-filled DOE Lab!

Sorry, but every open source project has a high hurdle to newcomers
for a reason. If they wish to come back and talk to us minus the
insults, I am happy to have them back. But their current behaviour is
completely unacceptable.

Thanks

ron