[coreboot] [patch][v2]:fam10 microcode

Maximilian Thuermer Maximilian.Thuermer at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Jun 16 18:11:55 CEST 2009

Hi Ward,
> I think this helps. Have a look at how I modified init_cpus.c:
>
>   http://ward.vandewege.net/coreboot/h8dmr/fam10/init_cpus-ak.c
>
> Is that what you intended?  Here's a boot log
>
>   http://ward.vandewege.net/coreboot/h8dmr/fam10/h8dmr-ak.cap
>
> As you can see, it gets past the second CPU initialization, which is great.
> However, it soft resets itself a little further - but that's after (at least)
> two cores start to talk at the same time, so perhaps that's a different
> problem? Or maybe I didn't implement that call to AMD_checkLinkInitialized
> correctly?

Yes, this is exactly the behaviour it is supposed to show. Also, you put
the function
call in the right place.  An observation we made with our C2 Opterons is
that the microcode
patch led the system to resets of unknown origin. As a matter of fact,
our machine kept on resetting at the exact
same spot as yours. Try uncommenting the entry in the microcode lookup
table and see how
far your code gets.
The rather akward output of what seems to be multiple cores writing to
the serial console
at the same time has been discussed in other threads afaik and remains
an issue to be solved.
Up until know, it did not keep our systems from booting and only seems
to be a temporary
effect.

Best regards,

Maximilian