[coreboot] ASUS KFN4D16 - K8 FAM10

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 18:13:16 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:36 AM, Thomas Ward <tomwardathome at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> Hello,
> I realise your list is very technical and this is probably a daft set of
> question so please forgive me if it is cluttering up your list but I
> couldn't find a more appropriate place to ask,..
> ... so here goes.
>
> My questions are about running coreboot on an ASUS KFN4-D16 with an NVIDIA
> CK804 chipset and a SST SST49LF080A (BIOS?) chip  33-4C-NHE 0631138-B
> I have 2 cpus one is a 65nm dual core opteron 2210, the second CPU is a
> quad core 45nm "Shanghai" opteron 2376 - this CPU isn't supported by the
> ASUS BIOS.
> My aim is to get the board to boot with the quad core CPU, I would be happy
> if it boots with support for all the RAM and at least one of the ethernet
> ports, I can live without PCI, SATA, USB etc.

They should all work.

> My plan is to use a BIOS saviour and buy a second SST49LF080A chip  and
> then
>
> 1. flash  coreboot for K8 (?) with flashrom to verify that coreboot works
> on this board
> 2. flash  coreboot for fam10 (?) with flashrom
>
> does this sound like a good plan?

Yes.

> I have a couple of other questions
> E. what sort of BIOS chip / bios saviour kit should I use with this board?

RD1

output from flashrom, superiotool and lspci appended below,

> many thanks for any help and good luck with your project,
>
> Tom Ward
>
> root at shed:/home/tom/coreboot/flashrom# ./flashrom
> flashrom v0.9.0-r555
> No coreboot table found.
> Found chipset "NVIDIA CK804", enabling flash write... OK.
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> Found chip "SST SST49LF080A" (1024 KB) at physical address 0xfff00000.

Hopefully this chip is socketed.

> superiotool r3695
> Found Winbond W83627THF/THG (id=0x82, rev=0x84) at 0x2e

This SuperIO is supported.

> 00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller (rev
> a4)

This board is very similar to the tyan/s2892.

If I were you, my first step would be to get the BIOS savior (or just use
the pushpin method)

http://www.coreboot.org/Developer_Manual

Once you can recover from a bad flash,

check out the latest coreboot-v2
mkdir src/mainboard/asus/kfn4-d16
svn cp src/mainboard/tyan/s2892/* src/mainboard/asus/kfn4-d16/
mkdir targets/asus/kfn4-d16
svn cp targets/tyan/s2892/Config.lb targets/asus/kfn4-d16/

edit src/mainboard/asus/kfn4-d16/Config.lb

Enable devices that are in your lspci, disable any that don't show up.
Don't worry about cards that you plug in, they'll be found automatically.
Change the SuperIO from chip superio/winbond/w83627hf to
superio/winbond/w83627thf and change any settings there that you need to.
Change socket_940 to socket_F

(When you're ready to switch to fam10)
Change amdk8 to amdfam10 everywhere (may need some other small fixups)

edit targets/asus/kfn4-d16/Config.lb
Change s2892 to kfn4-d16
make sure ROM_SIZE matches the chip you're using.

cd targets
./buildtarget asus/kfn4-d16

make a payload (Maybe seabios)
cp your_payload targets/asus/kfn4-d16/kfn4-d16/payload.elf

make -C asus/kfn4-d16/kfn4-d16

Last step is to send your patches to the list with a Signed-off-by:
<your-email> line.

Thanks,
Myles