[coreboot] Intel Eagle Height evaluation board support

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 22:27:55 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Thomas JOURDAN
<thomas.jourdan at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> This series of patches add support in coreboot-v2 for the Intel Eagle
> Heights evaluation board

Welcome to the project!

http://www.coreboot.org/Development_Guidelines#Sign-off_Procedure

If you sign off your patches they can be reviewed, acked, and committed.

> Things broken :
> * reset (the config file only has a fallback image and don't really
> understand the concept of failover / fallback / normal image)
> * vga rom -> The evaluation board comes with a PCIe 1x Matrox G550
> graphics card. Coreboot fails to execute the vga rom (either x86emu,
> yabel or real mode). There is an exception 0x06 and everything will
> freeze. It could be the loadall instruction
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOADALL). I'll investigate tomorrow with
> a probe to understand what happens.

You could try having SeaBIOS enable your ROM.  There have been several cases
where SeaBIOS was less picky than the others.

http://www.coreboot.org/SeaBIOS

> - the mmconf is hardcoded to 0xE0000000 but I don't understand how the
> resource allocate can properly handle it. If you change the mmconf
> address in the northbridge code, don't forget to adjust the associated
> motherboard resource in the DSDT.

The current resource allocator can't handle it.  If you want to test the new
one,  you can apply the patches from this mail:

http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2009-May/048928.html

Just make sure that your mmconf register gets hardcoded and set in the
read_resources function with the flags IORESOURCE_FIXED |
IORESOURCE_ASSIGNED

The new allocator avoids fixed resources, but can only allocate to one side
of them.  I recommend putting your resource as high as you can.

Make sure limit > base.

If you send me a log from before and after the patch it'll help both of us
:)

For lucky people (like me) who owns the board and wants to give it a
> try, flashrom won't work with the original bios. The board has a
> SST49LF008A (FWH 1MB) on a PLCC32 socket, which is cool. But the
> default bios will lock down half of the chip. Flashrom will fail to
> properly detect it. To bypass this, I forced flashrom to detect the
> chip as a 49LF004A (512KB). This way, I can write a first 512KB
> coreboot file. After, no more problems, the full 1MB are available in
> flashrom. Of course, no problem if you use an external flasher.

Very nice.

Thanks,
Myles