[coreboot] Fun ugliness

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Jun 25 02:15:29 CEST 2009

On 24.06.2009 23:46, Myles Watson wrote:
> Does this make sense?
>
> Since CAR isn't backed by actual RAM, if I do a ram test of any reasonable
> size it evicts my stack and I can't continue.

Correct if the RAM you're testing is marked as cacheable. If that RAM
area is not marked as cacheable, there should be no problem. Then again,
cache aliasing may ruin this approach.

> So, when I'm "comfortable" with my RAM setup I have to go blind.  Is there a
> way around that?

Sure. Most SSE and later multimedia instructions use uncached accesses.
The AMD K8 BKDG explicitly mentions that you have to use cache-avoiding
instructions for RAM accesses during CAR. I think one of the examples is
MOVNTI (SSE2).

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--