[coreboot] Flashrom problems on SB600

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Mar 17 01:05:13 CET 2009

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> >> If someone deliberately changes that register,
> >
> > Which register? I couldn't find one. :\
>
> See the patch hunk above. Look for CD6 in the SB600 RRG. Notice CD6
> is PM_INDEX. CD7 is PM_DATA. Look at section 2.3.3.2 Power
> Management (PM) Registers. 8F is FakeAsrEn.
> FakeAsrEn has two interesting fields: UseBypassRom and BypassRomSel.

Fake is the key part of those names. They are overrides only.

> Basically, the patch hunk above does simply remove the forcing of
> SPI access and relies on the default boot-up method. Back when you
> NAKed that change, I wondered why but I assumed you wanted some
> more design to go into it.

The register can not be read to determine what the system booted
from as far as I understand.

Thus it is not possible to determine whether to use the SB600 SPI
driver or use physical address reads and writes.

For some operations it does not matter, but probe and erase for SPI
chips does not work with only physical address accesses.

> I think the patch is committable,

Please reconsider?

//Peter