[coreboot] [solved] Re: [Flashrom] No EEPROM/flash device found. on Syntax SV266A

FENG Yu Ning fengyuning1984 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 18:28:04 CET 2009

Paul Menzel wrote:
> Right. Removing the sticker sure helps. Atmel AT49F002NT is written on
> the chip, which is supposed to be supported by Flashrom.
>
> test.rom also has not only null written to it, so it seems to be
> working.
>
> What could be done, that the chip is auto-detected?
>
> Anything else I can do?

Since the reported IDs differ from those(id1 = 1Fh, id2 = 08h) in
datasheet of AT49F002NT, I am not sure whether access to the flash is
properly done. Let's do some investigation before going further.

You may want to take a closer look at test.rom.
* How do the first few bytes look like? Do they look like magic
numbers(0xff00, 0x55aa, ..)?
* What are the instructions located at (top - 0x10)? Is it a cache
disable instruction followed by a jump?
* Try `strings' of binutils. See if you can find board information and
strings appearing in the BIOS setup screen, etc..

If yes, then we have a special AT49F002NT. Adding auto-detecting for
the chip should be trival. Otherwise, we will have to head towards the
other direction, to see what we can do with the super IO chip.

Maybe there are other things to be taken into account, but I can only
think of the aboves with my limited knowledge.

yu ning