[coreboot] Questions to ACPI, Interrupts, APICS (M57SLI)

Harald Gutmann harald.gutmann at gmx.net
Fri Mar 27 10:07:58 CET 2009

On Friday 27 March 2009 09:02:21 Peter Stuge wrote:
> Harald Gutmann wrote:
> > What does the acpi part do, to get all the IRQ's correct?
>
> At the very least it provides documentation about how hardware is
> connected, and about how the firmware has configured the hardware
> with regard to interrupt routing. (Between the interrupt pins in the
> PCI slots, and the software interrupt handler there is a fairly long
> way with several opportunities for mapping.)
>
> > Why doesn't that work without ACPI support?
> > (Is this maybe done in the dsdt.asl?)
>
> Yes, the DSDT shows the interrupt routing. I guess the mptable isn't
> correct - ie. it does not say the same thing as the factory DSDT.
Okay, it seems that my assumption that the DSDT is the "problem-solver" in the
patch with the ACPI part was right.
Now i should really try to read and understand that long (+3k lines) file, and
until now, i don't understand much of that what is written there. (I guess
that the ACPI-reference will be the thing i'm going to read the next days. ;))

> > Where do i have to correct things, to get PCI/PCI-E interrupts
> > correct, and without ACPI?
>
> First step make the mptable say what the DSDT says. It seems you're
> on your way already.
Could get quite hard, even if it soulds really easy, but i think that i can
handle that.

> It would of course also help to be able to debug all that interrupt
> mapping, but without real chipset docs we are SOL.
>

> //Peter
Thanks Peter!

Kind Regards,
Harald