[coreboot] cbfs XIP patch

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue May 5 17:09:19 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 05.05.2009 06:55, ron minnich wrote:
>> There is actually no change to the find code in src/lib, in fact; that
>> code also walks all of rom, in strides of 'align'.
>
> Didn't we decide in v3 that walking all of ROM was a bad idea after that
> method (instead of skipping ahead based on headers) triggered too many
> false positives? Remember funny constructs like
>
> /* I hope the compiler does not optimize this */
> char *magic = "L" + "ARCHIVE"
>
> What did I miss?

You didn't miss anything. It's a bug in the current cbfs walking code
that I noticed last night.

Fix is simple: use Patrick's 'next' pointer or, when the code sees a
valid file, it should skip to the end of that file and keep looking --
at which point it is likely to find another file or a non-magic value.

After this discussion I am thinking his next pointer is a good idea.
ron