[coreboot] CBFS transition plan

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed May 6 02:14:18 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 06:17:53PM +0200, Patrick Georgi wrote:
> Am 05.05.2009 17:24, schrieb Myles Watson:
>> I think we can put off the decision if we insert CBFS code to find the
>> normal image and jump to it.
> My next step is to make copy_and_run cbfs aware. That would push the
> coreboot_ram part of both stages into cbfs already, significantly
> decreasing the bootblock size.
>
> It's a low hanging fruit given that copy_and_run is a single code path
> now, and that at this time of the boot process, RAM is available.

Thanks - that would be great to see.

What are your plans with lzma decoding?  (Will the bootblock have an
lzma decoder for deploying coreboot_ram and will coreboot_ram have an
lzma decoder for the payload?)

> Unless you really want to put the remaining fallback/normal code into
> cbfs, in which case that work would be useless. I really like the idea
> of using %cs, if it's known to be stable.

SeaBIOS must deal with %cs modifications, so I'm familiar with using
it.  However, it's not clear to me what coreboot needs it for.  Can
someone point me to a discussion on the problems with PIE?

-Kevin