[coreboot] GSoC: Seabios USB Option ROM, small initial planning

Jason Wang wangqingpei at gmail.com
Thu May 7 17:34:24 CEST 2009

Hi all,

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Leandro Dorileo <ldorileo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> I was talking to Jason and we found we need to draw a bit better the
> API and responsibilities between us. I figure out I`m going to support
> hardware detection and initialization, and a framework to read and
> write blocks from MSC devices.

i also want to know how can i support the api functions with option rom.
I have a little doubt that the hardware detection and initialization can be
done
with out optionrom which in my eyes should be done within optionrom.

> Looking the current libpayload`s source code I found UHCI is pretty
> complete and meets the requirements I mentioned above. So, the focus
> should be put on EHCI and OHCI. Of course bug fixing what becomes
> needed as well.
>
> Again looking in the source code, I found abstractions that will ease
> the process of coupling the other host controller interface drivers, I
> don`t have many questions regarding the internal design and API of
> libpayload(by now at least) but how Jason is going to integrate and
> use libpayload usb stack.
>
> To test and improve my understanding I put together[1] some code from
> FILO, libpayload and a stub option ROM, just to see how it`s supposed
> to be integrate(PS: this option ROM is a work in progress and will be
> used just for testing the usb implementations I`m going to do, and
> it`s not functional yet).
>
> For now, I have two major questions, #1: I`ve seen other projects like
> FILO including libpayload with svn:external, once seabios is
> maintained with git, how it should be done with seabios? how would we
> manage the source code integration and maintainability between seabios
> and libpayload?.

that's also what i am thinking about, mabe we can put the optionrom in
coreboot, just
let the seabios to load the optionrom .

--
Jason Wang