[coreboot] SeaBIOS not running vga rom

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed May 13 03:26:04 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 06:50:26AM -0400, Joseph Smith wrote:
> This may be a dumb question, but I was wondering, can I use SeaBIOS as a
> payload without loading assembly blob roms?
> I ask this because I am going to be running custom VGA code after VM86
> excicutes the vga rom and returns back to coreboot. I don't think this
> would be possible for SeaBIOS, because at that point it has already left
> coreboot. So I would like to just use SeaBIOS as my payload to boot disks
> only. Is this possible? If so what options do I need to define in SeaBIOS?

To turn off option rom processing in SeaBIOS, edit the file
src/config.h and change the setting CONFIG_OPTIONROMS to 0.

However, most boot loaders (eg, grub) will require a working vga bios.
Running the vgabios in an emulator wont register the 16 bit vga
callbacks - SeaBIOS must run the vgabios in order for these callbacks
to work.

It's not clear what your end goal is or what problem you're trying to
fix - maybe an alternate solution is possible.

-Kevin