[coreboot] SeaBIOS not running vga rom

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed May 13 05:13:54 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 09:58:11PM -0400, Joseph Smith wrote:
> Well it would be hard to fit 2 years of research into this email but in a
> nut shell I am going to be doing some direct framebuffer manipulation to
> get the tv-out working. I need to do this AFTER the VGA ROM runs and sets
> up the initial graphics. Therefore the current ROM emulators in coreboot
> will let me achieve this because they return to coreboot thus allowing me
> to run code directly manipulating the framebuffer.

Random ideas:

- hack the tvout stuff into seabios instead of coreboot

- place the tvout stuff in an elf, and have seabios run it like a
  payload

- place the tvout stuff into an option rom and tell seabios to run it

- teach seabios to return to coreboot

- run the vga bios from both coreboot and seabios and hope it doesn't
  reset your registers

- initialize the vga card without a vgabios; replace factory vgabios
  with the open source vga bios

-Kevin