[coreboot] [flashrom] Using 3c905B as programmer.

Mats Erik Andersson mats.andersson at gisladisker.se
Wed May 13 17:13:32 CEST 2009

Hello there,

let me point out that the recent code to use 3x905C
as a flashrom programmer, will almost certainly fail
for the predecessor 3c905B-TX (id 0x9055). The reason
being that there is a bug where the mii unit interferes.
Thus one needs to put the media subsystem into state 0x06,
i.e. internal mii, by a write to register window no. 3.
Then window no. 0 can be activated, any read or write
of flash may follow, and upon completion the old media
configuration should be restored.

After much effort I found this out for my own class
of kernel modules aimed at using network cards for
in situ programming.

Interested developers can glean the details off a
utility "bromutil.c" contributed with the Etherboot
or gPXE distribution. That code is not by me!

Best regards

Mats Erik Andersson