[coreboot] [flashrom] report error on flashrom read

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri May 15 16:52:29 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 3:10 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> How about opt-out for reading (which is non-destructive) before
> writing/erasing and opt-in for automatic restore?

There are some heuristics and techniques you could do. Read it in
initially makes sense. But create a file in all cases? What if they
are on a
readonly file system when running flashrom (which I do frequently)?

But if it is unchanged after an erase, then further action may be bad.
I have had cases where the flash "seemed" to fail, but the flash part
was fine.
Trying to restore it might make it worse if the cause is a timing or
MTRR issue. I've seen that too.

Automatic recovery is very tricky in these cases.

as for traffic such as this, I think leaving it on coreboot is fine.
We are not a heavy traffic list at present.

ron