[coreboot] seabios - long delays detecting disks

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Thu May 21 18:19:20 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:32:37PM -0400, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:37:56AM -0400, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> > you can see that seabios is having a hard time on this mcp55 detecting
> > controllers/disks:
> [...]
> > ata0-0: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-111D ATAPI-5 CD-Rom/DVD-Rom
> > powerup iobase=1f0 st=50
> > powerup iobase=1f0 st=0
> > ata_detect drive=1 sc=55 sn=aa dh=b0
> > send_cmd : read error (status=01 err=04)
> > IDE time out
>
> Ughh.  It looks like your cdrom is out of spec (or very confused).
>
> I'm assuming you have just a cdrom on the first controller (as the
> first drive).  If so, it should be returning zeros when we probe the
> second drive of the first controller - however it appears to be
> responding to the registers.

This board (m57sli) has only one ide connector. The CDROM drive is the only
thing connected to it via an 80 pin ide cable with two connectors. It's
connected to the connector at the end of the cable. The drive is set to
master with a jumper. It's a Pioneer DVR-111D. It appears to work normally
(at least for reading data CDs from gnu/linux).

> Because seabios thinks something is present on the second drive, it
> tries to identify it.  The packet identify command fails ("send_cmd :
> read error"), and then seabios waits for the RDY signal so that it can
> send a normal identify command.  However, RDY never becomes available
> and SeaBIOS times out 30 seconds later.

Hmm. So, cdrom firmware bug?

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation - Senior Systems Administrator