[coreboot] [flashrom] nic3com: A thanks, a question and a suggestion

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri May 22 15:45:02 CEST 2009

Urja Rannikko wrote:
> Anyways, does anyone know how big flash chips these 3com's support?
> The SST i tested is 128k - i can propably (given time) test 256k
> also, but just curious.

The theoretical limit is 512k, which would use all of the 32 PLCC
leads.

But it really depends on how many address lines are connected from
the NIC to the flash chip.

> And also, if i plan on using this for "hotflashing" a chip from
> another box to do my various hacks, it would be very much indeed
> too easy to accidentally write flashrom -w <file> instead of
> flashrom -p nic3com -w <file> .
> I'm not 100% sure whether this is a good idea (some might find it
> annoying), but i suggest that in case of "flashrom -w" or "flashrom
> -E" it would ask for sure, eg. "This will erase/write your INTERNAL
> flash chip. Are you sure (y/n)?".
> If given flashrom -p internal -w (or -E) it would not ask (for
> scripting).

Interesting usability problem. Maybe an environment variable could be
an alternative way of choosing what will be used to do flashing?

//Peter