[coreboot] SeaBIOS, serial output, and grub

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Fri May 22 18:57:57 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 09:19:04PM -0400, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 01:03:30PM -0400, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> > On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:13:04PM -0400, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> > > That worked!
>
> Great!
>
> > OK, I can now get to the boot menu, which is great.
> >
> > Ideally though, all output starting from 'Starting Seabios' would end up on
> > serial as well as console. So, drive detection, gpxe being loaded, any other
> > option roms being loaded.
> >
> > Is that at all possible? Perhaps seabios could treat an optionrom with name
> > genroms/sgabios.rom as special and load it before all other option roms?
>
> Sure - for example, SeaBIOS could load all roms in "vgaroms/" during
> the vga init phase.  This gets somewhat to the point Myles raised
> earlier about option rom ordering - I'm not sure what the best thing
> to do is.

Hmm. The more I think about this, the more a sysv-style system seems
appealing.

A system where the loading of option roms could be ordered by whoever builds
the rom image, if so desired, seems nice.

I'm not sure how that would play with the current order of loading things,
which is presumably done as pci ids are enumerated?

Or maybe we could just load whatever is in "early/" before the pci probing,
and "late/" after?

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation - Senior Systems Administrator