[coreboot] [Patch] Flashrom: Add nforce2 chipset enable.

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Tue May 26 09:19:56 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 03:15:42AM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 02:41:06PM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> > Add NForce2 chipset enable.
>
> Thanks a lot! I tested it on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (rev. 2.00) and it
> does indeed work fine (erase/write doesn't work before the patch).
>
> (Sidenote: the PCB says "A7N8X rev 2.00" and doesn't mention "Deluxe",
> but according to the websites and dmidecode it really is a Deluxe):
>
> http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=Uz3L1ioFuZkCI0VO
> http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=wAsRYm41KTp78MFC
>
> (I have two SATA ports and two NIC ports, which hints at the Deluxe)
>
> dmidecode also says:
> Version: ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1007
>

> > This should, hopefully, fix the ASUS A7N8X-E.
>
> I'm not so sure here. The original wiki report was done by me I think,
> but that was a report for some other board I had temporary access to,
> I guess. I'd rather not touch the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe status for now, until
> somebody has actually tested it on hardware.
>
> However, please add the "ASUS A7N8X Deluxe" (note the missing "-E" in
> the name) to the known-good-without-board-enables-required list
> (boards_ok[]) in board_enable.c. I have verified that it works with your
> nforce2 patch and does _not_ require further board-enables.
>

> > While the other chipset enables for nvidia could potentially also work,
> > this one, by not touching other bits, seems like the safest solution.
> >
> > Signed-off-by Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be>
>
> Acked-by: Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de>
>
> with the changed mentioned in this mail.

> Uwe.

Cool, thanks for testing, i guess we can change NT to OK in the
chipset_enable.

About the "Bad board" list. A bad board is not like lepracy from before
medicine advanced enough. When a board is added, it is not banished to
some forsaken island to rot for the rest of its life. It is added to the
known bad list in part to warn users and in part to spur developers on
to do something about it. So we need to require an email address before
adding a board to this list.

I got spurred on by this bad board listing, and did something about it.
And as pointed out earlier on irc, i am certain that, if this board
enable works on a standard a7n8x, it will also work on an a7n8x-e.

We don't have a solid contact here, and the problem is very certainly
fixed. So we are left with a known false entry, but one that we cannot
verify nonetheless.

I think the only reasonable thing to do is to:
* mark the a7n8x deluxe as tested ok.
* remove the a7n8x-e deluxe from the known bad list, but not add it as
tested ok.