[coreboot] flashrom touches only 0x70000-0x80000 addresses of my bios flash

Alexander Gordeev lasaine at lvk.cs.msu.su
Fri May 29 14:41:37 CEST 2009

On Fri, 29 May 2009 13:40:41 +0200
Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> On 28.05.2009 21:04, Alexander Gordeev wrote:

> >> Wow, that's very precise and helpful information. Thanks!
> >>

> > I did my best :)
> >

> Could you also trace the WP# (and TBL#) pin? It seems that my first
> attempt to guess the right pin was incorrect.

Sure! Unfortunately there is a big chance that I won't be able to do
this until Monday.

An excerpt from the Pm49FL004 datasheet:

The Pm49FL002 has a 16 Kbyte top boot block and the
Pm49FL004 has a 64 Kbyte top boot block. When work-
ing in-system, the memory hardware write protection fea-
ture can be activated by two control pins - Top Block
Lock (TBL#) and Write Protection (WP#) for both FWH
and LPC modes. When TBL# is pulled low (VIL), the boot
block is hardware write protected. A sector erase, block
erase, or byte program command attempts to erase or
program the boot block will be ignored. When WP# is
pulled low (VIL), the Block 0 ~ Block 14 of Pm49FL002,
or the Block 0 ~ Block 6 of Pm49FL004 (except the boot
block) are hardware write protected. Any attemp to erase
or program a sector or block within this area will be ig-
nored.

So it seems the right way this time: when WP# is pulled low and TBL# is
high leads to exactly the same situation as I have.

> >> Can you please run
> >> superiotool -de
> >> and post the output to the list? That will help me use the correct
> >> polarity for the write enable routine.
> >>

> > Sure, attached.
> >

> Great, thanks!
>
> Decode follows.
> GPIOs: 11(SIO), 12(inverted), 13, 14(SIO), 16(SIO), 17(SIO),
> 35(pullup), 40(pullup), 53
> all SIOs are Input
> SIO base: 0x0800
>
> That leads me to the assumption that the WP# pin is probably not
> connected to the SuperIO and the WE# pin may be connected to the
> SuperIO, but without function.

I hope WP# is connected...

--
  Alexander