[coreboot] [Patch] CMOS: Add set_option and rework get_option.

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sat May 30 17:59:00 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 03:44:28PM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> To ease some of my debugging pain on the unichrome, i decided i needed to
> move FB size selection into cmos, so i could test a size and then reset it
> to the default after loading this value so that the next reboot uses the
> (working) default again. This meant implementing set_option in parallel to
> get_option.

As an aside, I think long-term coreboot should have a config file in
flash and use that instead of nvram.

The issues with using nvram:

  * it's small and it leads to weird hacks to store data

  * the coreboot layout conflicts with the vendor layout and it's a
    pain when switching between coreboot and factory bios

  * the batteries frequently get old and nvram storage becomes flaky

Just my 2 cents.
-Kevin