[coreboot] Hmm Is the coreboot name copyrighted?

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Sun May 31 05:25:32 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Joseph Smith <joe at settoplinux.org> wrote:

> Looks like ther is another coreboot out there in Japan...
>
> http://www.nttdata.co.jp/en/media/2009/041400.html

It looks like the NTT Data company made an announcement in 2007 about
their "CoreBoot" thin client:

http://www.nttdata.co.jp/en/media/2007/062500.html

"CoreBootTM is a network boot thin client developed by NTT DATA
Corporation with the aim of preventing information leaks, reducing
administration costs, and achieving high performance. Designed as a
diskless PC to meet the needs for information security and efficient
terminal administration..."

"LinuxBIOS" was rebranded "coreboot" at the very beginning of 2008:

http://coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2008-January/029133.html

"Welcome to coreboot!

It's been 10 years (in octal anyway!) since the first successful LinuxBIOS boot.
[...]
As a result, starting last year, we decided to look at a new name. We
had lots of
candidates, and discussed the name with many companies. In the end, the name
that seemed to stick was "coreboot". It makes a lot of sense: the code we are
working on is the "core boot code".

So, starting this year, the 10th (base 8!) anniversary of the first
LinuxBIOS boot,
we are transitioning to the name coreboot. As you can see from the above,
coreboot can support all kinds of software, still including Linux."