[coreboot] Hmm Is the coreboot name copyrighted?

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Sun May 31 19:06:55 CEST 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 31.05.2009 07:21, Joseph Smith wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 May 2009 23:25:32 -0400, Robinson Tryon
>> <bishop.robinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like the NTT Data company made an announcement in 2007 about
>>> their "CoreBoot" thin client:
>>>
>>> http://www.nttdata.co.jp/en/media/2007/062500.html
>>>

>>> "LinuxBIOS" was rebranded "coreboot" at the very beginning of 2008:
>>>
>> Well that is not good news....
>>

> Fortunately, coreboot is a registered trademark of coresystems (Stefan's
> company) since 2007. The LinuxBIOS->coreboot name change was made long
> after the trademark had been registered, so I think we're safe.

Oh, okay, good. I tried to find out when NTT first mentioned their
products, and the earliest date I can find NTT CoreBoot mentioned is
June 25th, 2007:
http://www.nttdata.co.jp/en/media/2007/062500.html
http://www2.rbbtoday.com/news/20070625/42961.html

Coresystems GmbH filed for registration of "coreboot" with the USPTO
on September 20, 2007:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4001:6tn175.2.1

 I'm not a lawyer or anything, so I don't really know about how
who-did-what-on-which-date matters. I assume as long as people don't
confuse the two products, then everything is fine.

--R