[coreboot] BIOS POST codes monitoring in real time from other computer

Antonio Expósito antonio.exposito at ono.com
Thu Sep 17 21:13:29 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I don’t want to disturb you with “newbie things”, but this is a way to start
like another.

I am trying to monitor the boot process of a computer, mainly BIOS POST
codes and linux kernel boot process. I know how to do it for the linux
kernel using a serial port, but I am not able to imagine how to monitor the
BIOS POST codes.

I know that almost every BIOS sends them to the ISA I/O address 0080h, but,
how can I get that codes using another computer? I mean,  without POST
ISA/PCI card, using another computer connected to it via SMBUS, LPC or
serial?

Is there any way to convert LPC to serial and monitor that port?

I want to do this with a VIA P700 motherboard, is this board supported by
the coreboot v3?

Could be easy to redirect BIOS POST codes to a serial port using a coreboot
implementation?

Thanks in advance,

Antonio