[coreboot] SeaBIOS and USB UHCI keyboard support

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Tue Sep 29 16:47:04 CEST 2009

Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> The latest SeaBIOS git has preliminary support for USB keyboards.
> I've tested this on qemu and on my epia-cn.
>
> For info on obtaining SeaBIOS see:
> http://www.coreboot.org/SeaBIOS
>
> This support is still a little "rough" - help with testing would be
> appreciated, but don't expect it to be fully functional.
>
> Known issues:
>
> - only uhci controllers are supported - no ohci (nor ehci)
>
> - not all keys are mapped (eg, no numeric keypad)
>
> - no keyboard auto-repeat
>
> - no keyboard led support
>
> - if one types fast, they may see dup keys or missing keys
>
> - no hub support (keyboard must be directly attached)
>
> - usb bandwidth is not optimized (no scheduling)
>
> That said, I can control the SeaBIOS boot and navigate through a grub
> console with my usb keyboard.

Would it not make sense to pack USB keyboard functionality into our GSoC
project instead, and use one common USB stack for all our projects?
Especially since this renders usbrom completely unusable; no two USB
stacks can operate the hw reliably at the same time.

I'm a bit surprised by such action. Are you planning to add USB MSC
support as well? Should we stop the OHCI efforts too and wait for your
approach on that?

Stefan