[coreboot] suport for AMD 770 (RX781) ? SATA III ?

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.cat
Fri Apr 30 14:28:07 CEST 2010

Hello.

I know I said I'd pick one of the GSoC motherboards, but after that coreboot got DDR3 support,
and since I want to have a computer for a long time, and it may help compiling quicker,
and so... I'd like to go for AM3 for the DDR3 support (I'm thinking Phenom II X4 910e or 905e) .

I've seen this motherboard but I'm not sure the chipset is supported in coreboot.
M4A77TD PRO/U3S6
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=bjOkrdsFHkTzz4Q6

(it has a serial port and, from the picture, socketed BIOS ROM)

It lists
AMD 770/SB710

I think AMD 770 is an alias for RX781, and I think this is an RS780 without IGP .
Is it included in the RS780 support contributed by AMD ?

It's not listed in
http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Chipsets_and_Devices
Maybe because it's not yet tested ?

I imagine it is implemented (maybe not tested on bare metal)
because I saw this message:

Vadim Girlin , on Fri Apr 9 07:12:05 CEST 2010, wrote:
> I'm going to try coreboot on Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3.
> It's AMD 770 (RX780 / SB700).
>
> I've prepared the image for it based on code for mahogany fam10 with
> some modifications.
>
> I've tried it with simnow using the configuration close to mine as much
> as possible - it even boots with my native BIOS. And it boots with
> coreboot image.

But I'd like confirmation of the status before buying the board just in case
I'm doing something really silly.

Another question is about the U3S6 sold with this card.
It's a PCIe 2.0 (x1 ?)  card with 2 USB3 ports and 2 SATA III (6Gb )
ports. I think it has a Marvell 88SE9123 SATA III controller.
I don't find it in the supported chipset list. Yet it appears to have some
linux driver (I still haven't foudn if there is some blob issue, Mavell
calls it "open source linux driver"). Does it mean coreboot
(payloads?) can't boot an OS from a disk connected to it,so I should
have a disk connected to the 3Gb SATA in the motherboard ?

I can buy the same card without the SATA III (6Gb) add on card,
and I could at any time buy another add on card, so I'll probably do that
if I can't use SATA III with coreboot anyway.

I'll buy two 4Gb 1333MHz DDR3 SODIMMs if I can find them,
and leave two more sockets for the future ,and a second hand
Nvidia PCIe x16 fanless card for graphics.

Sorry not to be able to send the required information since I still don't
have these components and can't run diagnostics tools. I'm just asking
if at first sight there's somethign weird with this.

Thank you.

I copy the specifications page from the motherboard vendor, since the link
seems not to lead to it directly.

Specifications
CPU	AMD Socket AM3 ;Phenom™II /Athlon™II /Sempron™ 100 Series Processors
AMD 140W CPU Support
AMD Cool 'n' Quiet™ 2.0 Technology (by CPU type)
Support 45nm CPU
*Refer to www.asus.com for the AMD CPU support list
Chipset	AMD 770/SB710
System Bus	Up to 5200 MT/s HyperTransport™ 3.0 interface
Memory	4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
*AMD AM3 100 and 200 series CPU support up to DDR3 1066MHz
**Due to OS limitation, when installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB.
Install a 64-bit WindowsWindows® OS when you want to install 4GB or more memory on the motherboard.
***Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for Memory QVL (Qualify Vendor List)
Expansion Slots	2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (*blue@ x16 mode, black@ x4 mode)
1 x PCIe x1
3 x PCI
Storage	SB710 Chipset
1 xUltraDMA 133/100
5 x Serial ATA 3Gb/s Support RAID 0,1,10
1 x eSATA 3Gb/s ports
U3S6 card:
- 2 x SATA 6Gb/s ports
LAN	Realtek 8112L PCIe Gb LAN
Audio	VT1708S High Definition Audio 8-Channel CODEC
- Supports Jack-detect and Multistreaming teconologies, and Front Panel Jack-Retasking
- Optical S/PDIF Out ports at back I/O
USB	2 x USB 3.0 ports at U3S6 card
12 USB2.0/1.1 ports (6 ports at mid-board, 6 ports at back panel)
ASUS Unique Features	ASUS EPU-4 Engine
ASUS Express Gate
ASUS Turbo Key
ASUS Q-Fan
ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
ASUS EZ Flash 2
ASUS MyLogo 2
ASUS AI NET 2
Overclocking Features	Intelligent overclocking tools
- Turbo Key
SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection)
- FSB tuning from 200MHz up to 550MHz at 1MHz increment
- PCI Express frequency tuning from 100MHz up to 150MHz at 1MHz increment
Overclocking Protection
- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
Special Features	True SATA 6Gb/s & USB 3.0 support
100% All High-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors
Back Panel I/O Ports	1 x PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse Combo port
1 x Parallel port
1 x S/PDIF Out (Optical)
1 x LAN(RJ45) port
1 x COM port
8 -Channel Audio I/O
2 x USB 3.0 ports(@ U3S6 card ) / 6 x USB 2.0ports 1 x ESATA 3Gb/s
Internal I/O Connectors	3 x USB connectors supports additional 6 USB 2.0 ports
1 x IDE connector
1 x CPU / 1 x Power / 1 x Chassis Fan connectors
1 x S/PDIF Out connector
1 x System Panel connector
1 x CD audio-in connector
1 x High Definition Front panel audio connector
1 x 24-pin EATX power connector
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector
2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (@ U3S6 card)
5 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors
BIOS	8 Mb Flash ROM AMI BIOS, PnP, DMI v2.0, WfM2.0, ACPI v2.0a, SMBIOS 2.5
Accessories	1 x I/O Shield
1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66 cable
2 x SATA 3Gb/s cables
2 x SATA 6Gb/s cables
1 x U3S6 card
1 x User's manual & Support DVD for U3S6
1 x User's manual & Support DVD for M4A77TD PRO
Support Disc	Drivers
ASUS PC Probe II
Express Gate
Anti-virus software (OEM version)
ASUS Update
Form Factor	ATX Form Factor
12 inch x 8.8 inch ( 30.5 cm x 22.4 cm )
AMD Socket AM3 ; Phenom™ II/Athlon™ II/Sempron™ 100 Series Processors

This motherboard supports AMD® Socket AM3 multi-core processors with unique L3 cache and delivers better overclocking capabilities with less power
consumption. It features dual-channel DDR3 1333 memory support and accelerates data transfer rate up to 5200MT/s via HyperTransport™ 3.0 based
system bus. This motherboard also supports AMD® CPUs in the new 45nm manufacturing process.
AMD 770 chipset

AMD 770 Chipset is designed to support up to 5200MT/s HyperTransport™ 3.0 (HT 3.0) interface speed and PCI Express™ 2.0 x16 graphics. It is
optimized with AMD®’s latest AM3 and multi-core CPUs to provide excellent system performance and overclocking capabilities.
ASUS EPU

The ASUS EPU (Energy Processing Unit) provides total system power management by detecting current PC loadings and intelligently moderating power in
real-time. It automatically provides the most appropriate power usage to save power and money!
HyperTransport 3.0 Suport

Provides 2.6 times more bandwidth than HT1.0 that radically improves system efficiency for a smoother, faster computing environment
Dual-Channel DDR3 1800(O.C.)

This motherboard supports DDR3 1800(O.C.) that provides faster data transfer rate and more bandwith to increase memory computing efficiency,
enhancing system performance in 3D graphics and other memory demanding applications.
PCIe 2.0 support

This motherboard supports the latest PCIe 2.0 devices for double speed and bandwidth which enhances system performance.
True USB 3.0 Support

Unique PCIe x4 Bridge Chip for Ultra Performance
Experience ultra-fast data transfers at 4.8Gbps with USB 3.0--the latest connectivity standard. Built to connect easily with next-generation
components and peripherals, USB 3.0 transfers data 10X faster and is also backward compatible with USB 2.0 components.
True SATA 6Gb/s Support

Unique PCIe x4 Bridge Chip for Ultra PerformanceSupporting next-generation Serial ATA (SATA) storage interface, this motherboard delivers up to
6.0Gbps data transfer rates. Additionally, get enhanced scalability, faster data retrieval, double the bandwidth of current bus systems.
ATI CrossFireX™ Technology

ATI´s CrossFireX™ boosts image quality along with rendering speed, eliminating the need to scale down screen resolution to get high quality images.
CrossFireX™ allows higher anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, shading, and texture settings. Adjust your display configurations, experiment with
the advanced 3D settings, and check the effects with a real-time 3D-rendered previews within ATI Catalyst™ Control Center.
8+1 Phase Power Design

To fully unleash the AM3 CPU´s potential, the ASUS M4 Series motherboards have adopted a brand new 8-phase VRM power design. It delivers high power
efficiency and supreme overclocking ability. Furthermore, high quality power components can effectively lower system temperature to ensure longer
component lifespan. This series also features an extra 1 phase power dedicated to integrated memory/HT controller.
SATA on the Go

The motherboard supports hard drives based on the Serial ATA (SATA) 3Gb/s storage specification, delivering enhanced scalability and doubling the
bus bandwidth for high-speed data retrieval and saves. The external SATA port located at the back I/O provides smart setup and hot-plug functions.
Easily backup photos, videos and other entertainment contents on external devices.
Turbo Key

ASUS Turbo Key allows the user to turn the PC power button into an overclocking button. After the easy setup, Turbo Key can boost performances
without interrupting ongoing work or games - with just one touch!!
High Definition Audio

Enjoy high-end sound system on your PC! The onboard 8-channel HD audio (High Definition Audio, previously codenamed Azalia) CODEC enables
high-quality 192KHz/24-bit audio output, jack-sensing feature, retasking functions and multi-streaming technology that simultaneously sends
different audio streams to different destinations. You can now talk to your partners on the headphone while playing a multi-channel network games.
All of these are done on one computer.
Gigabit Lan

This capability ensures rapid transfer of data from WAN to LAN without any added arbitration or latency.
ASUS Express Gate

0 to Internet in Seconds!
Express Gate™ is an ASUS exclusive OS that provides you with quick access to the Internet and key applications before entering Windows®.
ASUS Q-Fan

ASUS Q-Fan technology intelligently adjusts CPU fan speeds according to system loading to ensure quiet, cool and efficient operation.
ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3

The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 allows users to restore corrupted BIOS data from a USB flash disk containing the BIOS file. This utility saves users the
cost and hassle of buying a replacement BIOS chip.
ASUS EZ Flash 2

EZ Flash 2 is a user-friendly BIOS update utility. Simply launch this tool and update BIOS from a USB flash disk before entering the OS. You can
update your BIOS only in a few clicks without preparing an additional floppy diskette or using an OS-based flash utility.
C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

When the system hangs due to overclocking failure, there is no need to open the case to clear CMOS data. Just simply restart the system, the BIOS
would show the previous setting and then users can amend the CPU setting again.
MyLogo 2

You can convert your favorite photo into a 256-color boot logo for a more colorful and vivid image on your screen.
S/PDIF-out on Back I/O Port

This motherboard provides convenient connectivity to external home theater audio systems via coaxial and optical S/PDIF-out (SONY-PHILIPS Digital
Interface) jacks. It allows to transfer digital audio without converting to analog format and keeps the best signal quality.
Uses 100% All High-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors!

This motherboard uses all high-quality conductive polymer capacitors onboard for durability, improved lifespan, and enhanced thermal capacity.
GreenASUS

The motherboard and its packaging comply with the European Union´s Restriction on the use of Hazardous Substances (RoHS). This is in line with the
ASUS vision of creating environment-friendly and recyclable products and packaging to safeguard consumers´ health while minimizing the impact on the
environment.
Accessories
The product (electrical , electronic equipment, Mercury-containing button cell battery) should not be placed in municipal waste. Check local
regulations for disposal of electronic products.

    * All specifications are subject to change without notice. Please check with your supplier for exact offers. Products may not be available in
all markets.
    * PCB color and bundled software versions are subject to change without notice.
    * Brand and product names mentioned are trademarks of their respective companies.