[coreboot] DL145 G1 with dual dualcore CPU using coreboot ?

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 20:03:51 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Oskar Enoksson <enok at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> Hello. Sorry to bother you all with a BIOS problem ...
>
> I have a large number of old HP DL145 G1 servers with two Opteron
> 248 each (single core). I want to upgrade the CPU's to Opteron 280 (dualcore).
>
> I have tried to simply install two 280 CPU's and boot up. The BIOS bootup process first seems to work fine
> detecting the harddrive, USB, management processor, memory etc. Then
> there is a warning text "Warning: Unknown processor. Please contact your
> BIOS vendor for appropriate updates". After that it detects the BMC
>
> I already have the last BIOS available from HP (from 21/7 2005)
> installed.
>
> Would it be possible to tweak coreboot to make these servers work with dualcore CPU's?

Definitely possible.  Probably pretty easy.  It's very similar to the
amd serengeti_cheetah.  If you want to support it, you could start by
running superiotool to find out what superio you have.  If it is the
same as serengeti_cheetah there should be very little work required to
support it.

The wiki has useful information about superiotool and getting started.

Thanks,
Myles