[coreboot] LinuxBIOS V1 ?!

Tyson Sawyer tsawyer at irobot.com
Wed Feb 3 02:35:41 CET 2010

Joseph Smith wrote:
> On 01/30/2010 08:51 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>> Hi Tyson,
>>
>> On 29.01.2010 21:08, Tyson Sawyer wrote:
>>> A small voice from the distant past here.
>>
>> Nice to hear from you again.
>>

>>> I have a custom system using LinuxBIOS V1. Yes!  1! This is a
>>> PIII/440BX based system.
>>>
>>> We have found that we can boot 2.6.23-17, but can not boot 2.6.24.
>>> Investigation using characters posted on the serial port suggest that
>>> we are starting the kernel and getting to about the point where the
>>> clock speed of the CPU and then it just stops as far as we can tell.
>>
>> This may or may not be an option, but have you thought about coreboot
>> v2? AFAIK it should work well on PIII/i440BX systems.
>>
> Hello Tyson,
> coreboot v2 i440bx code should work for you. I was looking at the code
> last night for someone else and it appears alot of the code is
> hardcoded. It is a good starting point, but the i440bx still needs some
> work. Hope that helps.

Geesh... I hope that hard coded stuff isn't still the stuff I
contributed back in V1?!

I doubt that an upgrade to Coreboot V2 (V4 now?) is an option for me
right now.  We may have solved our immediate problem, thus delaying any
need to upgrade the kernel.  However, I hate being locked into old
kernels so I am trying to get this fixed anyway.  ...while being locked
in to an old bios? ;-)

Thanks!
Ty

--
Tyson D Sawyer                     iRobot Corporation
Lead Systems Engineer              Government & Industrial Robotics