[coreboot] It's not just v2 anymore

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Wed Feb 10 20:03:49 CET 2010

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 07:35:06PM +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> > Maybe not call it 4.0alpha1 but only 4.0. Just as with previous version
> > numbers it will not change anytime soon and having alpha in the name
> > doesn't sound too encouraging.
> >
> Ok, done it this way.

Great, thanks!

> > Also: Should we change all v2 strings in code and wiki to read v4
> > afterwards? Especially the supported boards table should probably say
> > "v4" I think, to avoid further confusion of why v3 is a higher version
> > number but everybody works on v2.
> >
> I think we should just remove the version number from as many pages as
> possible...

Yep, sounds good.

> Updates to the wiki should rather reflect CBFS and Kconfig
> for all the build tutorials. They are quite out of date since a few
> revisions (many even still suggest to cat vgabios.bin coreboot.rom >
> coreboot-with-vga.rom, which doesn't work since quite a while)...

Yep, I think we should remove all local build instructions _unless_
there are some specific board-dependent hacks or workarounds that are
required. Those should be mentioned in some "Installation hints"
section or something like that.

> Do you have a good hint for a build tutorial that works as a base for a
> unified build tutorial? Or could you possibly work on such a tutorial?

I updated the generic

  http://www.coreboot.org/Build_HOWTO

a bit yesterday, I think it's more or less functional and complete now.
There's no point in explaining in-depth each of the options in
menuconfig, that's what the help texts and

  http://www.coreboot.org/Coreboot_Options

are used for.

> With Kconfig being available everywhere, we should make sure people
> recognize how simple it became to build coreboot

Indeed! Anybody wants to write a short announcement, both to the lists
(coreboot and coreboot-announce) and also in the wiki News section?
This deserves some more exposure, IMHO. Maybe it will even hit the press.

Uwe.
--
http://www.hermann-uwe.de  | http://www.randomprojects.org