[coreboot] Executing bootstrap from MBR in coreboot

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Feb 26 01:11:27 CET 2010

Piotr Piwko wrote:
> >> my target board (MSM800BEV)
> >
> > It would really be nice if you could help make this target work
> > with the updated coreboot sources.
>
> I would really like to do this job, but unfortunately I currently
> work on the quite urgent project and I don't enough time and energy
> to join to another project.

I consider this to be the same project. You are using coreboot after
all.

> Anyway, I am impressed with your work and I hope that I will be
> able to help in the future.

You can help, right now. I am pretty sure it will be a lot less work
than writing your own bootloader.

> I've decided to write my own code to execute bootstrap from MBR. At
> this moment I test the functions which are responsible for ATA
> protocol support.

As I am sure you already know there are already several ATA drivers
in the coreboot ecosystem. SeaBIOS even supports DMA, which has major
impact on boot speed.

> > Can you show us boot logs from your working version and from the
> > very latest version?
>
> I'm going to do this as soon as possible.

That's good. It is absolutely neccessary for you to get any help at
all. Of course there is no guarantee that anyone can help
immediately.

//Peter