[coreboot] Relocable payloads

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Fri Feb 26 02:23:15 CET 2010

On 2/25/10 11:44 PM, Myles Watson wrote:

>     In case someone wants to look into this. The attached patch tries
>     to do
>     relocable coreboot_ram. It does not work. It looks like dynamic
>     linker does not
>     fix call to hardware main in the c_start.o - reason is unknown.
>
> Relocating coreboot_ram seems like a great idea.  It seems like there
> was a lot of discussion on the mailing list with v3 about PIC and why
> it couldn't work for us.  My memory about it is fuzzy now, but a
> little searching might turn something up.

The idea sounds incredibly sweet.

But lets make sure we gain from it in the end...
Relocating coreboot_ram would safe us two 1MB sized memcpy on the resume
path, so we would safe at least 200 microseconds of boot time in the
case we're resuming. (assuming memory is 6.4G/s, DDR2-800 aka PC2-6400)
.... 0.2milliseconds of 400+... worth the complexity?

What other benefits are there?

Stefan