[coreboot] Minor update on IDE mode on Wyse S10 (CS5536)

Oliver Schinagl oliver at schinagl.nl
Thu Jun 10 00:24:23 CEST 2010

On 06/09/2010 11:21 PM, Nils wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
> You wrote:
>
>> I am now ready I think to start giving coreboot a whirl on this thing.
>> Though I still wonder, if the bios can boot the kernel from the IDE
>> 'drive', I assume coreboot will equally be able to boot it; but if
>> recent kernels refuse to use the disk, I may end up being screwed anyway
>> :S.
>>
> As i was trying to explain before, there is nothing wrong with the hardware
> or the way the IDE port is connected.

Hmm, well I can boot from the IDE device as it actually detects grub on
the MBR, so it does switch to IDE at boot time?
> The only problem is the stock bios witch is initializing the IDE port of the
> CS5536 as flash port.(that gives troubles if you are using a real IDE harddisk)
> When you use coreboot you can enable or disable flash_enable.
> Normaly it is disabled so you can use IDE.(But for your flash drive i think you
> want flash enabled)

The controller on my device is a SM322TF which is a compact flash like
IDE controller. If one would put the IDE port in flash mode, the docs
talk about communicating directly with the flash chips, which is
impossble with the controller. Also, in IDE mode, hdparm tells me many
things about the IDE device, so why would I want it in flash mode?
> With coreboot you can use a normal recent kernel with the appropriate
> drivers.

Ah! well I still have your coreboot.rom which I will give a whirl soon.
Could I bother you for your .config so I can possibly tweak it?
> Succes,Nils

Bedankt!
Oliver