[coreboot] [h8dme-fam10] acquiring coreboot skills from scratch somewhat daunting

Joe Korty joe.korty at ccur.com
Thu Jun 10 22:31:56 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 03:30:09PM -0400, Arne Georg Gleditsch wrote:
> Joe Korty <joe.korty at ccur.com> writes:
> >> This sounds kinda familiar.  Can you check if it is related to
> >> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bios/57707 -- do the patches there
> >> help any?
> >
> > Doesn't look like it.  We are getting hosed (consuming an hour's worth of time)
> > between the printk of 'Clearing memory...' and the printk of 'Done.'  The only
> > thing between those two printk's is a memset.
>
> I believe there's a patch to memset there too, unless I've pasted the
> wrong URL?  I saw what appeared to be dramatic performance issues,
> presumably related to instruction cache misses/refetches in the memset
> code.  (The impact is likely related to how the alignment turns out as
> well as the latency over the SB towards ROM.)
>
> I'm not sure a northbridge timeout on write to coherent memory would be
> benign enough to let you continue going gracefully...  Either way, it'd
> be interesting to know if modifying the code itself helps any.

Hi Arne,
First first applied only the memset change then I applied the whole patch.

The memset-only change did indeed speed up the memset.  It is now
instantaeous.  The speedup seems too great to me, it implies that I've
no-oped memset somehow.

Then I applied the whole patch.  I had to change the "#if CONFIG_ARCH_X86"
to "#if 1" as CONFIG_ARCH_X86 doesn't seem to be set.  With that single
change to your patch I see a speed-up to 'no delays, anywhere'; but now
the execution patch is quite a bit different, we are in a warm reset
infinite loop.

Anyways your patch made a difference .......
Thanks,
Joe