[coreboot] Winflashrom plans

Darmawan Salihun darmawan.salihun at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 21:56:25 CEST 2010

Hello guys,

Sorry, I haven't been able to update Winflashrom for more than 3 years now.
I'm planning to add Windows 7 support next month.

Therefore, I'm looking for suggestions.

A bit of Winflashrom background of the currently available Winflashrom
(at flashrom.org):

The programming model:
a. User mode application:
    - Mostly "pure" flashrom source code recompiled with MinGW.
    - libpci recompiled with MinGW (for PCI access logic). This is
required because
       the PCI access functions in the Windows API is not guaranteed
(marked as obsolete),
       in Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2003 server back then.

b. Device driver:
    - Provides POSIX mmap() implementation in the kernel, i.e.
      provides an entrypoint for mmap() function to user mode application.
    - Provides direct I/O port access for libpci.

Well, the reason for these programming model is to reduce the burden
when moving to newer flash chip support because this programming model
"preserves" the POSIX API in the user mode application (the device
driver is generic enough).
Therefore, "only" the user mode application need to be recompiled to
support new flash chip.

Any suggestions on what to change from the current programming model?

Thanks,

Darmawan