[coreboot] Asus M2A-VM

Andrew nitr0 at seti.kr.ua
Tue Jun 29 15:51:35 CEST 2010

29.06.2010 15:46, Jason Self пишет:
> Indeed; I've never soldered/desoldered anything in my life. I thought
> that Flashrom was used to get Coreboot onto the board. I clearly
> misunderstand the purpose of Flashrom if physical modification is also
> needed. If that's specific to the M2A-VM perhaps I should look for a
> different Micro ATX board with which I can use Flashrom. Suggestions?

You can brick your board if something goes wrong. So it's recommended to
use 'top hat' tool (simply 2 PLCC panels, that are connected pin-to-pin,
except, as I remember, CS signal) - that allows to place new chip over
soldered one, and safely use new chip for experiments - and if something
goes wrong, just remove 'top hat' and get system with original BIOS.
P.S. Soldering is easy by hot air that heating bottom of PCB -
300..350C. + of course flux. And it's ideal to have in this case
two-side heating - ftom top and bottom; solder becomes liquid for 2-3
minutes...