[coreboot] GSoC 2010

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Mar 6 19:26:16 CET 2010

On 06.03.2010 18:50, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> On 3/6/10 5:13 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>> 1. Full flashrom with GUI as payload (may easily exceed 200 kB
>> uncompressed and 60 kB lzma compressed).
>> 2. Tiny flashrom stub for remote flashing over serial/network/whatever
>> (~10 kB uncompressed and 3 kB lzma compressed, maybe even smaller).
>> 3. Load flashrom from an external medium (serial/USB/floppy/whatever) to
>> RAM and execute it (no space requirements).
>>

> Just having it as a FILO add-on would be the best solution. Then it can
> use all the FILO infrastructure (reading lots of filesystems, using a
> recovery with a nice menu on a USB stick,

OTOH, it could simply be an ELF loaded by FILO. That allows upgrades of
flashrom as needed, and if FILO can load flash images from any media, it
should be able to do the same with executable code.

> integrate with the flash
> protection that FILO offers (lock flash writes before FILO executes
> external code for example)

Now that is indeed a compelling reason to have FILO support flashing.
Then again, if flashrom-in-FILO doesn't check a cryptographic signature
of the new flash image, the flash protection effect is rather limited.

Anyway, I can do it if you let me do it.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
"I do consider assignment statements and pointer variables to be among
computer science's most valuable treasures."