[coreboot] How coreboot passes e820-style system memory map to the OS?

Darmawan Salihun darmawan.salihun at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 17:39:30 CET 2010

Hi,

I wonder how coreboot passes the "e820-style" system memory map to the OS.

I found the following data structure pointer in the coreboot source code:
static struct parameters *faked_real_mode = (void *)REAL_MODE_DATA_LOC;

and also this line:

void append_command_line(struct parameters *real_mode, char *arg, int arg_bytes)

Does the second line above means "faked_real_mode" is passed as an
argument to the bootloader (or probably directly as kernel parameter
for Linux)?

Or does SeaBIOS perform the necessary e820-style function to OS other
than Linux?

Thanks,

Darmawan