[coreboot] Hardware damaged?

mark mark at tvk.rwth-aachen.de
Tue May 4 14:39:44 CEST 2010

Hi,

I wanted to flash coreboot onto my VIE Epia-M; this is what I did:
1) bought an identical Bios chip to have a working copy of the old bios
2) checked out coreboot, filo, flashrom
3) dumped the bios with flashrom into a file and wrote that file onto the new
chip with flashrom, after hotswapping the chip. I verified each step with
flashrom, no problems here.
Now the board booted with both chips, everything was fine.

Then I dumped the video-bios, compiled filo and compiled coreboot after
configuring it.
It compiled successfully and I wrote the rom-file onto the new chip and
rebooted.
The computer started and printed some random, weird, colorful blocks all
around the screen, nothing else happened.
So I removed the new chip and inserted the old chip, which still contained the
working, official bios.
But after starting up the computer, the screen remained black and nothing
happend, except that the harddrive spinned up; no beep, nothing.
Changed back to the new, not working chip (which at least showed some color),
but same effect here.

Did I brick the board somehow, or is it possible that coreboot bricked it
somehow? I don't understand, what part of the board could have been damaged
here. Short circuit?

Greetings,

Mark