[coreboot] H8DME-2 woes, hints?

Joe Korty joe.korty at ccur.com
Wed May 5 22:06:08 CEST 2010

As a first time coreboot user, I thought that I should first try it out
on a supported board.  That way I would learn the ropes a bit before even
thinking about doing something more challenging.

Naturally I am having troubles.  I suspect that as a newbie I am probably
doing something stupid.  But then I've heard that mb manufacturers like
to change things around without notice, so maybe I'm doing things right
and what was once a supported mb, no longer is.

The hardware:
   SuperMicro H8DME-2.
   Four 1Gbyte DDR2-667/533/400 Registered ECC SDRAM sticks from Crucial.
   Two Quad-Core AMD 2378 2.4 GHz Processors.
   Onboard video.
   One SATA disk.
   One PATA DVD-ROM reader.
   NULL modem serial cable from COM1 to COM1 on another PC.

The details:
   When booting coreboot, nothing happens for about 45 seconds.
   Then the fans speed up to high and some messages start appearing
   on the serial line.  These messages print rather slowly (maybe
   1 second/message).  They are:

        coreboot-4.0-r5521M Wed May  5 10:53:42 EDT 2010 starting...
        *sysinfo range: [000cf000,000cf730]
        bsp_apicid=00
        Enabling routing table for node 00 done.
        Enabling SMP settings
        (0,1) link=00

   At this point coreboot ceases to make forward progress.  The
   fans remain spinning at their highest settings.  The VGA screen
   is blank throughout.

   I put some printk's in setup_smb2, the crashing routine.  They show
   that setup_temp_row is called by setup_smb2 but never returns.

Anyways, I've attached the entire build procedure I used to achieve
these results.  Perhaps there is something in this sequence that I am
doing wrong???  And, what kind of luck have others had with recent
H8DME-2 boards?

Regards,
Joe

   # install RHEL5 32-bit on H8DME-2 test stand
   # log in as myself

   # --- make flashrom(1) tool

   cd
   svn co svn://coreboot.org/flashrom/trunk flashrom
   cd flashrom
   make
   sudo make install

   # --- get latest coreboot sources

   cd ..
   svn co svn://coreboot.org/coreboot/trunk coreboot
   cd coreboot

   # --- get pre-built SeaBIOS coreboot payload

   wget -O payload.elf http://linuxtogo.org/~kevin/SeaBIOS/bios.bin.elf-0.6.0

   # --- extract H8DME-2's onboard Video ROM

   fgrep 'Video ROM' /proc/iomem
   # displays "000c0000-000cafff : Video ROM"
   sudo dd if=/dev/mem of=/tmp/vgabios.bin bs=4k skip=$((0xc0)) count=$((0xb))

   # --- figure out the Video ROM's PCI Vendor,Device ID
   # --- I _think_ the numbers I want are the second set shown, ie "15d9:1611".

   lspci -v | fgrep VGA
   # displays "01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc ES1000 ..."

   lspci -vn | fgrep -A1 01:05.0
   # displays "01:05.0 0300: 1002:515e (rev 02)
               Subsystem: 15d9:1611"

   # --- build-n-burn coreboot

   make menuconfig
   # select Mainboard -> SuperMicro -> H8DME-2
   # select Payload -> Add A Payload -> ELF
   # select VGA Bios -> Add A VGA BIOS -> VGA Device PCI IDS -> "15d9,1611"
   make
   /usr/local/sbin/flashrom -w build/coreboot.rom