[coreboot] Geode db800 vs Wyse S50

Oliver Schinagl oliver at schinagl.nl
Tue May 25 14:01:23 CEST 2010

On 05/25/10 13:07, Joseph Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2010 10:45:47 +0200, Oliver Schinagl <oliver at schinagl.nl>
> wrote:

>>> Yes my S30 has a GX2 and cs5535.From what I have read both the S30 and
>>> S50 are upgradable to the S10. It is just a bios and software upgrade.
>>>
>>> On another note I just got a V30L, sweet little VIA C& machine....
>>>
>>> Hope that helps.
>>>

>> Hmm; I thought that the S10 was the most basic version :)
>>

>> Processor:     AMD Geode GX 366MHz
>> Memory:     0 Flash/128MB RAM
>>

> So S10 has 0 flash??? Does it just PXE boot?

Well it has a 2MB Bios chip, so I suppose the Wyse OS lives in the
biosflash area?

Other then that, it only supports RDP, ICA int he Wyse OS; booting it
does from the following 3 options, IDE, PXE, USB. I'll take a foto of
the bios, though it really isn't interesting at all.
>> As the S50 reads:
>> Processor:     AMD Geode GX 366MHz
>> Memory:     128MB Flash/256MB RAM
>>
>> btw they use a gx in the spec instead of gx2; odd.
>>

> Yes you will see that alot, the GX is actually the sucsesor to the GX1.
> Others will call it GX2 for clarification (me :-)).

Ah! ok so there was GX1; and GX, but we call GX GX2 to make it sound as
a successor, as it is. I know linux uses GX2 in it's naming.
>> The S30 lists the same btw:
>>
>> Processor:     AMD Geode GX 366MHz
>> Memory:     64MB Flash/128MB RAM
>>

> S30 comes with different flash/ram combos.
> Mine has 32MB Flash/ 64MB RAM

I wonder where the flash is located at, in the bios chip, or if it's an
IDE devices 'flash' thing.

>> So besides the tool outputs etc etc I posted earlier; I'll take loads of
>> pics. Do I need to pry off the CPUs heatsink for a pic of that? Since I
>> don't know how to best re-attach it; id' like to postpone that.
>>

> Yes I think this is a great idea :-) No need to take the heatsink off, we
> already know what the CPU is. I propose a new wiki page "Wyse Thin Clients"
> That we can upload pics too, and information about each system. I have 3 or
> 4 different models so a central info point would be cool. I would be glad
> to take lots of pics too.

Ok I'll do my best to make some nice pics of front/back of the pcb and
some of the chips.

>> Also not having a GX VSA is kinda really off-putting; it basically means
>> I can't use coreboot on this thing yet? How did people do it on the S30
>> and more specifically the S50? The S50 does list as being supported, how?
>>

> Don't worry about VSA too much, I am sure we can up with a solution when we
> get to that point.

Ok. Atm I have compiled everything and it seemed to build after some
tweaking fine; using the Wyse S50 mainboard.