[coreboot] Question about smm handler bin

fengwei zhang namedylan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 18:30:13 CET 2010

Hi all,

I am trying to impelement SMM support for K8/vt8237r, but I am strarking on
build smm handler bin. I understand I need to copy real smm handler to
location 0xa0000. From the ICH4 example, there are two extern varaibles
binary_smm_start and binary_smm_end, I know it defines in
/build/cpu/x86/smm/smm_wrap.ramstage.o. but how does that work?

Suppose I just want to put RSM instruction in the smmhandler, can I just
write instruction "0f aa"(bianry code of RSM) to location 0xa0000 and
0xa0001. I tried this, but my machine went freeze after I invoke SMI.

I am thinking I may need to more instructons, because the SMM start with 16
bits real mode, it may not recongnize the instruction, right?
But I am starking on how to build and copy SMM handler.

I would really appreciate if some one could help me this out.

Best,
Fengwei