[coreboot] Recent GPXE as native coreboot payload?

Andree Jacobson andree at newmexicoconsortium.org
Fri Nov 12 03:31:06 CET 2010

Peter, I need a versatile BIOS replacement as the customers we will be
serving can bring in practically any os, image, or possibly even boot system
for their research projects. My main concern is serial redirection and
ability to boot over networks in many possible ways, like ethernet, myrinet,
or infiniband. I actually don't think that most of the issues are coreboot
related, but rather gPXE. However, all available documentation for using
gPXE as a coreboot payload is on the coreboot page. And all binary formats
except for elf were disabled in the experimental patches.

If possible, I would like to come up with a solution that can work with the
mainstream gPXE trunk, but I would like a deeper understanding of how
libpayload interacts with gPXE, and where the problems with legacy bios
callbacks come in, and if there are any issues with coreboot I need to be
aware of before starting.

  I will experiment further, but was just curious if anyone is actively
working on the same thing already.
/Andree