[coreboot] coreboot certified hardware

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun Oct 3 00:44:19 CEST 2010

Hi,

I wonder if we want to establish something like the "Designed for
Windows XP" or "Yes it runs with Netware" certificates? It would
certainly be a nice marketing aid for vendors, and at the same time it
would promote coreboot visibility.

If there is interest in such an idea, we will have to decide which
criteria have to be fulfilled to get such a certificate, and if the
certificate has an expiry date and/or is bound to a specific svn revision.
Off the top of my head, I can think of the following criteria:
- coreboot+SeaBIOS works well enough to boot $ENTERPRISE_LINUX,
$ENDUSER_LINUX and Windows 7 (Vista and XP as well?)
- Nvidia and ATI graphics drivers (both free and closed) work if booted
with a coreboot+SeaBIOS image?
- Frequency scaling and the various suspend methods work
- Soft poweroff works
- IRQ routing and all PCI/PCIe/AGP/whatever slots work
- Legacy ports (if present) work
- Fans work well enough (temperature-based scaling if present in the
"normal" BIOS)
- Source for a working coreboot image (including the Kconfig settings
for the board, and possibly NVRAM settings?) is available for free
without NDA
- Board port merged into coreboot svn
- SeaBIOS source code is available
- SeaBIOS code is merged into SeaBIOS git
- flashrom works on the board (no lockdown) or there is a way to boot
unlocked and run flashrom for your image of choice
- At least some serial output (coreboot version) if a serial port
(header) is present, otherwise... USB Debug? Floppy? LPC bus? POST card
on port 82h?

Did I forget something? Are some criteria useless? What would Jane User
expect from a normal mainboard if she didn't know coreboot was running?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/