[coreboot] FOSDEM devroom request

Rudolf Marek r.marek at assembler.cz
Sat Oct 16 22:07:39 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I have written following to the devroom request.

Thanks.
Rudolf

Hello,

We would like to  ask for common devroom for both collaborating projects -
Coreboot and Flashrom.

Coreboot is a Free Software project aimed at replacing the proprietary BIOS
(firmware) you can find in most of today's computers.

Flashrom is a utility for identifying, reading, writing, verifying and erasing
flash chips. It is designed to flash BIOS/EFI/coreboot/firmware/optionROM images
on mainboards, network/graphics/storage controller cards, and various programmer
devices.

Both projects are closely related, for example, the Coreboot uses Flashrom to
write the images. Both attract people which like the hardware and close to the
hardware system programming.

On the last FOSDEM there was a Coreboot devroom. Flashrom presented itself only
during Carl Daniel's lightning talk. This year is a great opportunity for both
projects to share a common devroom to attract hardware oriented people together.
As for the devroom topic, we would like to offer more hands-on sessions and kind
of mini lectures explaining various parts of non-trivial problematics which both
project face. If one judges the last year Coreboot devroom attendance, we had
all the time full room, which was nice although we prepared "just" lectures
about the project (with demo) and "how stuff works" oriented lectures. Our aim
for this year is to bring both projects even closer to potential users or
developers using above mentioned more individual approach.

We would also like to apply for the main talk track to catch an attention of
completely new users or developers which never heard of our projects. The
intended topic of the talk would be more general and serve as the introduction
to this interesting part of computer hardware & software.