[coreboot] coreboot+seabios timings

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Oct 18 07:51:53 CEST 2010

Warren Turkal wrote:
> Why wouldn't SeaBIOS turn that KB init off if it's a coreboot
> payload

The only valid reason is that SeaBIOS can do a bit of multitasking,
while coreboot currently can not. It may also be the case that even
if coreboot were to gain multitasking, there would still be no other
long-running tasks within coreboot besides that keyboard init, or
that in any case the total cost of not having all long-running tasks
in one code base only would be too high.

I see two solutions:

1. move all long-running tasks from SeaBIOS into coreboot
I'm not sure if this fits our model of what coreboot should do.
E.g. option ROM init is clearly in the SeaBIOS domain.

2. remove checkpoint between coreboot and payload
Also big change in our model, but maybe the way ahead! A payload
would be ultimately responsible for the system to be initialized
correctly.

//Peter