[coreboot] motherboards support SMM

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Oct 23 06:10:15 CEST 2010

fengwei zhang wrote:
> I found only motherboard with Intel® ICH7 southbridge supports SMM.

I don't think that's a rule. SMM is used where it is needed.

> the motherboards with Intel® 82801 series don't support SMM, because
> the CONFIG_HAVE_SMI_HANDLER was not setted after configuration and
> it will have compile errors if you set that flag manually.

This is obvious. The conclusion you can draw is that these boards do
not need SMM.

> In addition, most of motherboard with Intel ICH7 will have compile
> errors, there is only one mainboard will successfully compile and
> generate the coreboot.rom

This is not accurate. Note that there is an automated build system
which build tests all boards on each commit, and at the moment all
boards build without errors.

> It would be great if someone could confirm this

Why are you so interested in SMM?

As I mentioned above, coreboot will avoid using SMM unless it is a
requirement for a particular platform.

If you want to add SMM to a platform where it is not used currently
(and thus not required for coreboot) then it seems that you you have
a lot of research and development ahead of you.

//Peter