[coreboot] How the file, c_start.d is made?

Qing Pei Wang wangqingpei at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 13:25:39 CEST 2010

agree with peter. if you want to learn more about the building process of
opensource project.
i think coreboot is too complex for the beginner. You can choose some small

PS: the file %.d is created by gcc with the parameter -MMD, if you want to
know about
this, check the gcc man page.

2010/10/26 Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se>

> ali hagigat wrote:
> > what rule is making the file, c_start.d itself?
> It's very strange that you are so obsessed with the build system so
> many months after starting to look at coreboot.
> I first looked at coreboot nearly 10 years ago, and while I am not
> super active in the codebase there are still *so* many other *actual*
> things to work on and learn about *in the code*.
> You've mentioned that you want to study coreboot before you can work
> with it, but I would recommend that you stop studying the build
> system for now and look more at what coreboot *code* is actually
> doing. This is especially true if you are not already very skilled
> with the GNU toolchain and make, because building coreboot can
> sometimes require special tricks.
> To also answer your question, I suggest that you study the output
> from
> make V=1
> and see which command creates the c_start.d file. Then you could
> probably locate it within the Makefiles.
> //Peter
> --

Wang Qing Pei
Phone: 86+18930528086