[coreboot] openbiosprog-spi - Open Hardware / Free Software USB-based SPI chip programmer

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Sep 10 09:34:51 CEST 2010

Hi,

just a quick announcement I totally forgot to send out to the probably
most relevant places (coreboot + flashrom) about a little hardware
project I have finished a while ago: openbiosprog-spi.

It's a USB-based SPI chip flasher hardware based on the FTDI
FT2232H chip, all the gory details (including lots of photos) are at:

  http://randomprojects.org/wiki/Openbiosprog-spi
  http://hermann-uwe.de/blog/openbiosprog-spi-a-diy-open-hardware-and-free-software-usb-based-spi-bios-chip-flasher-using-flashrom

The device is already supported by flashrom out of the box. It has a
small DIP-8 socket to allow flashing DIP-8 SPI chips from newer
mainboards externally (if they're in a socket). As an alternative you
can also solder an 8-pin pin-header instead of the socket in order to
connect to a soldered SO-8 chip on a mainboard directly using some wires.

The hardware schematics and layouts were done using the open-source
Kicad suite and they're CC-BY-SA 3.0 licensed. All hardware files are
available from here:

  git clone git://gitorious.org/openbiosprog/openbiosprog-spi.git

Flashrom usage of the device looks like this:

  flashrom -p ft2232_spi:type=2232H,port=A -w foo.bin

Have fun, Uwe.
--
http://hermann-uwe.de     | http://sigrok.org
http://randomprojects.org | http://unmaintained-free-software.org