[coreboot] Super I/O: Winbond LPC Super I/O WPCN381U

Jeremy Moles cubicool at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 19:26:56 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 13:15 -0400, Corey Osgood wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Jeremy Moles <cubicool at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> ..
> >>
> >> Yes. Look at the data sheet and maybe as a help you can step through
> >> superiotool as well.

> >> Superios are easier to program than many other components, and are
> >> well documented, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. GPIO 3 is
> >> what you need to know about how the hardware is built.
> >
> > I do have a document describing the hardware pretty thoroughly, but
> > I am unfamiliar with the terminology it uses and how I would map that
> > into something I AM familiar with in Linux.
> >
> > When you say well-documented: is there a particular document you can
> > think of offhand?
> >
> > At any rate, I'm sure I'm close to the edge of how much this list is
> > willing to tolerate. :) Thanks for the help, hopefully I can make
> > something out of this...
>
> Perhaps this will help:
>
> http://www.coreboot.org/Developer_Manual/Super_IO
>
> Try looking at a datasheet for just about any Winbond super IO that
> does have a public datasheet, they all work generally the same way,
> just the LDNs and registers vary.

I do have the datasheet for the hardware in question:

http://jeremymoles.com/WPCN381U.pdf

(This was downloaded from a public URL, though I cannot remember it
now...)

> Also, have you tried contacting Winbond/Nuvoton for the datasheet?
> I've never had them deny me a datasheet, and never had to sign an NDA
> for one either. And have you inspected the board to find the Super IO
> and confirm that it is a Winbond? Sometimes designs change, it
> wouldn't surprise me to find that it really is the NSC chip.

It's not that the hardware specs are unvailable, it's simply that I lack
the knowledge to be able to translate the information form the hardware
vendor (i.e., their engineer telling me to simply ping GPIO-03 on the
SuperI/O controller and the hardware lights up) into Linux code. :) In
Windows, apparently, it's as easy as that...

I tried running isaset to set every single register to 0xFF, but this
doesn't do anything except turn the serial port off. Besides, I don't
expect this would work anyways, as the GPIO registers I need are
abstracted away in an LDN (7, in my case), and I think you need to
inform the hardware of that FIRST before writing any bits.